Location: Northern tip of Plum Island, Ipswich Bay,
entrance to Merrimack River
Nearest city: Newburyport
42 48 54 N
70 49 06 W
Accessibility: The grounds are open all year; the
lighthouse is sometimes open for open houses.
Station established: 1788; Present tower built: 1898;
Construction materials: Wood
Tower height: 35 feet; Height of focal plane: 50 feet
Optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens (1856), still in use.
Characteristic: Occulting green light; two eclipses every
Other buildings still standing:1898 keeper's house
Active Coast Guard aid to navigation; the lighthouse is
owned by the City of Newburyport and is leased to the Friends of Plum
The Friends of Plum Island Light, Inc.
P.O. Box 381
Newburyport, MA 01950
Open houses are held on selected
weekend days in summer. There
is a short ladder to climb to the top; sneakers are required.
Children must be at least 5 years old and 42 inches tall to climb to
the top. Tours are free, but donations to support the Friends
of Plum Island Light, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving
and restoring the lighthouse, are appreciated.
dates (all Sundays, 1 to 4 p.m.): MAY 26, JUNE 23,
7, AUG 25, SEPT 15, SEPT 29, OCT 6, and also SATURDAY, AUG
3, 1 to 4 p.m.