P.O. Box 8232, Portsmouth, NH 03802-8232

 email: FPHL@lighthouse.cc

About Us

Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse (also known as Fort Point Lighthouse, New Castle Lighthouse and Fort Constitution Lighthouse) was first established in June 1771, making it the first light station north of Boston in the American colonies. Today's 48-foot tower was built in 1878.

The Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse was founded in 2001 as a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation (ALF). Our mission is to work for the preservation of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse and associated structures, as well as to gather and preserve the history of this important historic site and to share these resources with the public.

The Coast Guard owns Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse and maintains the aids to navigation equipment. Our group is licensed through ALF to care for the tower, oil house, and wooden walkway.

If you'd like to volunteer to help us preserve this wonderful resource for future generations, please contact us at FPHL@lighthouse.cc. We especially need volunteers who can help out at our open houses and other fundraising events.


Back to Portsmouth Harbor Light main page

 About Us / History / Bibliography / Cruises / Photos / Postcards / Maps / Directions / Membership / Board of Directors / Volunteer Opportunities / Friends of the Friends

New Hampshire Menu / New England Menu / Back to Contents