Location: Fishers Island Sound east approach (juncture of
Block Island Sound and Fishers Island Sound)
Nearest town: Westerly
41 18 12 N
71 51 30 W
Accessibility: The lighthouse is closed to the public.
The grounds are open during the day, and a museum in the oil house is
open limited hours in summer. There is no parking near the lighthouse;
visitors must park in town and walk (about 15 minutes).
The Watch Hill Lighthouse Museum in one of the
station's buildings is open July 1 to Labor Day; Tuesdays &
Thursdays, 1-3 p.m.
Station established: 1808; Present lighthouse built:
1856; Automated: 1986
Construction material: Granite with brick lining
Height of tower: 45 feet; Height of focal plane: 61 feet
Earlier optic: Fourth order Fresnel (1856); Present
Characteristic: Alternating red and white flash every 2.5
Fog signal: One blast every 30 seconds
Other buildings still standing: 1856 keeper's house, oil
house, garage, 1909 fog signal building
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Buildings and
grounds maintained by