Location: Penobscot Bay, western entrance to Muscle Ridge
Nearest town: St. George
43 58 43 N
69 07 27 W
Station established: 1804; Present lighthouse built:
1852; Automated: 1982
Construction materials: Granite, asphalt
Height of tower: 41 feet; Height of focal plane: 75 feet
Accessibility: The lighthouse is best seen by boat.
The light station is not open to the public except
by special arrangement.
Original optic: Third order Fresnel (1857)
Present optic: 300 mm
Characteristic: Green light occulting every 4
Fog signal: Two blasts every 30 seconds
Other buildings/structures still standing: 1891
keeper's house, 1891 oil house, 1888 fog signal building. boathouse
with launchway, schoolhouse, granite wharf, tractor garage (former fire
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation.
station is available for vacation rentals.